Tuesday, September 8, 2015

Gluten-Free Vegan Peanut Butter Cookies


After a year away from teaching, I'm getting back into the classroom full time.  Because I gave up my spot at my school when I took the year off, I'm starting at a new school.  My team has been unbelievably welcoming and helpful so I wanted to make them something sweet for the first day of school.  The only fly in the ointment is that one of my teammates is vegan and another one can't eat gluten.   Every year for Passover my stepmom makes the most amazing flourless peanut butter cookies so I knew that gluten-free wouldn't be a problem.  That just left the vegan part of it.  Her recipe has an egg and I've had success in the past using flax as an egg substitute when I've been short on eggs so I decided to give it a try in this recipe.

These cookies only have four ingredients, five if you count water, and come together really quickly.  The first thing you want to do is to make your "egg" by combining the ground flax with water.  Stir it together and then set it aside for at least 5 minutes.

Mix together a cup of peanut butter, a cup of sugar, a teaspoon of baking soda, and your flax "egg."  The dough will look a little crumbly but it comes together when you roll it. 


I used a cookie scoop to portion out my dough and then rolled it into balls.


Just like with regular peanut butter cookies I made a cross-hatch pattern on top with the tines of a fork.  My stepmom rolls the dough up and then chills it and does them like slice and bake cookies so you can go that route if you prefer.


Bake them for about 10 minutes and then cool completely before eating.  Because there are so few ingredients, the peanut butter flavor really shines.  Mmmmmm!


Gluten-Free Vegan Peanut Butter Cookies
  • 1 cup peanut butter
  • 1 cup sugar
  • 1 tsp. baking soda
  • 1 tbls. ground flax
  • 3 tbls. water
  1. Combine flax and water and set aside for at least 5 minutes.
  2. Preheat oven to 375.
  3. Combine peanut butter, sugar, baking soda, and flax & water mixture.
  4. Roll cookies into balls and place on cookie sheets lined with parchment paper.  Make a cross hatch pattern on top with the tines of a fork.
  5. Bake for 10 minutes.  Cool completely before serving.
   

No comments:

Post a Comment