Tuesday, January 7, 2014

Superman Birthday Banner & A Free Cut File



Jake's birthday party is coming up this weekend.  As I mentioned when I posted about the comic book letters I made, he decided on a Superman party.  After debating between all of the amazing ideas I found on Pinterest, I finally decided that I wanted to make Jake's birthday banner with letters representative of the Superman symbol.  I was inspired by this banner by Carli at dimpleprints.

I wanted the font to be a little bit different so I set to work.  First I googled and found some fonts that made Superman style letters but the edges were kind of jagged so I realized I was going to have to start from scratch.  I sat down with my Silhouette Studio software and started the tedious process of making each letter.  Basically I made the outline of the emblem, added the letter and then resized and erased edges to make the outline of the red and the letter all one piece.  I also took the outer edge of my letter emblem, separated it out and used that to make the yellow piece.

Then it was time to set my Cameo to work cutting out the letters and yellow pieces from 12 x 12 cardstock.  Once I had everything cut out I carefully glued the red letter pieces on top of the yellow emblems.  I used the Tombow Mono Adhesive for this because I didn't want to risk the rippling you sometimes get with a liquid adhesive.  I wasn't perfectly lined up on all of them so I took my scissors and carefully trimmed any yellow that was showing outside of the red on the edges.

Once I had all of my letters I needed to attach them.  I simply used my hole punch to punch holes on either side of each letter and then threaded a blue grosgrain ribbon through them to connect them all.


Now, because we are friends, I don't want you to spend hours creating this banner like I did, so I'm going to give you my Silhouette files.  I haven't shared Silhouette files before so if this doesn't work, let me know and I will email them directly to you.

Superman Birthday Banner Letters: H A P P Y B
Superman Birthday Banner Letters: I R T H D Y
Superman Birthday Banner Letters: A 5th J A K E (this is the name and age I needed but I included this one anyway since it has another A for birthday and in case you wanted to play around with it)
Superman Birthday Banner Background (for the yellow part of the letters)


I'm linking up with Mad Skills Party, Create Link Inspire, Whimsy Wednesdays, Wake Up Wednesdays, Wonderfully Creative WednesdaysMade By Me, Moonlight and Mason Jars, Pin It Thursday, Thrifty Thursday, Create It Thursday Pin Junkie,  Link Party Palooza, Show Stopper Saturday, Strut Your Stuff Saturday, Inspiration Monday, Mix It Up Monday, and Create, Link, Inspire.

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for sharing an amazing informative blog. It is really helpful to everyone Birthday Banners

    ReplyDelete