Tuesday, January 13, 2015

Mint Chip & Waffle Cone Ice Cream


I know that for some people chocolate and mint treats are for December, but for me chocolate and mint are a year-round flavor combination.  When Trader Joe's brings out their holiday treats my heart beats a little faster.  (If you haven't figured it out by now, I have a MAJOR sweet tooth.)  One of my favorite holiday goodies at TJ's are the Mini Peppermint Waffle Cookies.  They are basically little circles of waffle cone with dark chocolate and crushed candy cane pieces on top.  If I'm not careful I could probably wolf down half of a package at once.  I have definitely never done that though.


As I was eating a few of them, I realized that they would make the perfect ice cream mix-in.  After I mentioned this to Josh a time or two, he took the hint and whipped up a batch for me.  He started with a mint ice cream base and then added in mini chocolate chips and almost an entire package of Mini Peppermint Waffle Cookies.  Now if you aren't like me, and haven't hoarded a few boxes of these waffle cookies, I'm sure you can just break up some waffle cones and some peppermint bark and use that instead.  You could even crush up those leftover candy canes and add more chocolate chips.

This ice cream was even more delicious than I thought it would be.  It is the perfect combination of creamy and crunchy, minty and sweet.  Yum!!!


Mint Chip & Waffle Cone Ice Cream
  • 1 cup whole milk
  • 3/4 cup granulated sugar
  • pinch of salt
  • 2 cups heavy cream
  • 2 tbls. peppermint extract
  • 1/2 cup mini chocolate chips
  • 7 oz. package Mini Peppermint Waffle Cookies, frozen  
  1.  Put frozen waffle cookies in a large ziplock bag and roll over with a rolling pin to break them up.
  2. In a medium bowl, whisk together milk, sugar, and salt until sugar is dissolved.  Stir in heavy cream and peppermint extract.  Cover and refrigerate at least 2 hours or overnight.
  3. Churn according to the instructions on your ice cream maker, adding in mini chocolate chips and waffle cookies in the last 5 minutes.

I'm linking up with Tasty Tuesday, Tasty Tuesdays, Moonlight & Mason Jars, Cook It Craft It Share It, Crafty & Delicious Party, Showcase Your Talent Thursday, Thrifty Thursday, Pin Junkie, Weekend Social, Link Party Palooza, Best of the Weekend, Pinworthy Projects, Munching Mondays, and Best Recipes.

No comments:

Post a Comment