Tuesday, December 24, 2013

Pumpkin Coffee Cake


Over Thanksgiving my sister was raving about the Pumpkin Coffee Cake recipe she found on one of our favorite blogs, How Sweet Eats.  I had most of the ingredients on hand so I decided to try it out for one of our weekend "special breakfasts."  Even though pumpkin is generally thought of as a fall flavor, I think this would make a great breakfast for Christmas (in case you haven't decided what to have tomorrow morning).  The original recipe calls for yellow cake mix and some pumpkin pie spice but I had a spice cake mix so I decided to use that instead.

I also followed my sister's recommendation and instead of making a big 9 x 13 I split the batter between an 8 x 8 baking dish for that morning, and a square foil pan for the freezer.  Then I will have something on hand for when I need a quick but delicious brunch dish.

Start out by mixing together a small can of pumpkin, water, vanilla, and 2 eggs.  Once that is all combined add in the spice cake mix and a little baking soda.  That's it, your batter is ready.  Pour it all into 2 square (or a 9 x 13)  baking pans sprayed with cooking spray.

Now for the delicious crumb topping.  In a separate bowl melt half a stick of butter.  Add in a half cup each of flour and brown sugar and mix it all together.  I used a fork because I think that is the best way of breaking it up without having to use my hands (I'm kind of prissy).  Then sprinkle the topping all over the top of the batter using a fork (or your fingers).

Pop it in the oven for 30 minutes (since I used two pans I rotated them halfway through).  When it is almost ready, make your glaze.  In a small saucepan combine 1/2 cup brown sugar, 1/4 cup granulated sugar, 1/4 cup milk (I used skim, the original recipe calls for heavy cream), and 2 tsp. vanilla.  Bring it to a simmer, then remove it from the heat and stir until the sugar is all disolved.

When you pull the coffee cake out of the oven poke little holes all over the top and then pour the glaze all over it.  YUM!!!!



For those of you who are going to be freezing half of this, I only made a half recipe of the glaze and then I wrote the instructions for it on the freezer bag I put my foil pan in.  When I am ready to eat it, I will just thaw it, reheat it, and then pour the fresh glaze on top.

This recipe came together really quickly and was delicious!  I highly recommend trying it out.  The original recipe called for walnuts in the crumb topping, but I am not a fan so I just left them out.  If you like walnuts, feel free to add them back in.  I think next time I will substitute with some chopped pecans instead of just leaving the nuts out entirely.


Pumpkin Coffee Cake
Adapted from Heather Disarro via Tasty Kitchen

For the cake:
  • 1/3 cup water
  • 15 oz. can pumpkin puree
  • 2 eggs
  • 1 tbls. vanilla
  • 1 box spice cake mix
  • 1 tsp. baking soda
For the crumb topping:
  • 4 tbls. butter
  • 1/2 cup brown sugar
  • 1/2 cup flour
For the glaze (if freezing half, halve amounts of glaze):
  • 1/2 cup brown sugar
  • 1/4 cup granulated sugar
  • 1/4 cup milk
  • 2 tsp. vanilla
  1. Preheat the oven to 350.
  2. In the bowl of your mixer combine the water, pumpkin puree, eggs, and vanilla.
  3. Add in the spice cake mix and baking soda and mix until combined.
  4. Pour into a 9 x 13 or 2 square baking pans coated with cooking spray.
  5. Make the crumb topping: Melt the butter, then stir in the flour and brown sugar with a fork until you have crumbs but it is well combined.  Sprinkle all over the top of the cake batter.
  6. Bake for 30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
  7. When the cake is almost finished make the glaze: In a small saucepan combine 1/2 cup brown sugar, 1/4 cup granulated sugar, 1/4 cup milk, and 2 tsp. vanilla.  Bring to a simmer, then remove from the heat and stir until the sugar is dissolved.
  8. When the cake is baked poke small holes all over the top and then pour the glaze all over.
  9. Let the glaze soak in for a few minutes, then serve warm.

I'm linking up with Flashback Friday, Retro Pin Party, Whimsy Wednesday, Create It Thursday, Link Party Palooza, and Inspiration Monday.

No comments:

Post a Comment