Tuesday, September 2, 2014

What I Wore - Back to School


So... today is the first day of school for my school district, but not for me.  After a lot of back and forth and soul searching, we made the decision that I would take a leave of absence from teaching this year to stay home with the boys.  I'm super excited to get to be a full time stay-at-home mom for the year, but it was an extremely tough decision.  I was really sad as I packed up my classroom and realized that I wouldn't be welcoming a new group of students to spend the year learning with me.

To take my mind off of school and help me focus on the amazing family we have built, we decided to spend the long weekend at the beach as a farewell to summer.  It was just what I needed.  There is just something about the beach that makes you slow down and focus on what matters.  As I looked at my boys and listened to the waves crash on the sand I couldn't help but feel incredibly grateful for the life that we have built.  I mean look at that view!


Today, as my fellow teachers start their school year, I am thinking about them and feeling incredibly lucky to get to stay home with my boys.  This is not something I would wear for the first day of school as a teacher, but since I don't have my own first day of school this year, I can be as casual as I want.


These jeans are as close to boyfriend jeans as I can get.  As boyfriend jeans rose in popularity, I tried to get on board, but I just couldn't do it.  No matter how many pairs I tried on, they just weren't flattering on me.  They made me feel bigger than I am and that is the exact opposite of what I'm going for when I get dressed.  To achieve that same casual vibe I picked up this pair of AG straight leg jeans and cuffed them.  Since cuffing can cut off the leg, I added my wonderful wedges to elongate the leg.

In the past I have shied away from horizontal stripes because I felt like they made me look wider, but as I've really tuned in to my own style, I have come to embrace them.  They are such a classic look and always make me feel pulled together.  So here is my not so back-to-school look: cuffed, straight leg jeans, wedges, and horizontal stripes.

 Top - Loft - old
Jeans - AG - old
Wedges - Charles by Charles David


No comments:

Post a Comment