Friday, September 20, 2013

Brother Picture Frame

While looking on pinterest for nursery ideas I came across this brother frame.  I loved the phrasing and thought it would be so cute to make one for each of the boys' rooms.  I decided I would use square frames, dark brown for the nursery and white for Jake's.  I'm still looking for a frame for the baby's room but I found a white one at Joann's on sale for $7.99 and I snapped it up during their teacher appreciation sale so I got an extra 25% off, score!
 
Jake has a baseball themed room, which I'll post some pictures of soon since we did some really cool DIY projects in there, but for now, let's talk about the project. When I saw this cute baseball scrapbook paper I knew it would be perfect for this project but I was a little nervous to use it since I haven't had a lot of success using my silhouette with anything other than cardstock.  It was on sale for 16 cents though, so I figured I would give it a try and I'm so glad I did because it turned out perfectly.

This couldn't have been easier and is so easily customizable.  Just change your paper and frame and match it to any theme.  You could also change the wording to "Best Friends Are We My Sister And Me" if you have little girls or one of each.  In Silhouette Studio I opened up a 12 x 12 page (that's the size of my frame) and tried out a bunch of different fonts until I found one that I liked.  I typed the first half of the phrase at the top of the page.  Then I used the square shape tool to draw a 4 1/2 x 4 1/2 inch box in the center of the page.  Finally I typed the second half of the phrase at the bottom of the page.  Then I was ready to go.

I used a cricut cutting mat instead of the one that came with my Cameo because it is slightly less sticky so it is easier to get the scrapbook paper off without it tearing.  Then I loaded the cutting mat into my Cameo and let it do it's magic.


Once it was finished cutting I very gingerly lifted the main page off of the mat.  The paper was a little curly after being pulled off of the cutting sheet so I put it under a heavy book to flatten back out while I used my little silhouette spatula to pry off the tiny pieces from inside the letters.

The trickiest part, and it really wasn't that tricky, was gluing the inside part of the letters onto the background page.  I put the baseball paper on top of a 12 x 12 piece of red cardstock and then layed a book on either side to hold it in place.  Then I took all of the tiny pieces and laid them on the red paper where they belonged.  One by one I used my Tombow Mono permanent adhesive to carefully attach the inside of the letters to the red cardstock.  Then I just put the two pieces of paper into the frame. 

I can't wait to put in a picture of Jake holding his baby brother.  When I do, I will use my Tombow to glue the picture to the red cardstock and just lay the baseball paper on top.  They are both the same size as the frame so they stay in place perfectly.

I'm linking up with Thrifty Thursday, Link Party Palooza, Best of the Weekend, Pin Junkie, Simply Create, A Peek Into My Paradise, Strut Your Stuff Saturday, Think Pink Sunday, Sweet & Savoury Sunday, Sunday Showcase, Marvelous Monday, Busy Monday, Monday Funday, Motivate Me Monday, Mad Skills Party, Inspiration Monday, Pincentive Blog Hop, Tasteful Tuesday, Whimsy Wednesday, Thrifty Thursday, and Pin Junkie.