Monday, September 9, 2013

True Food Kitchen Kale Salad

Several months ago a friend and I met for lunch at True Food Kitchen.  On her recommendation I ordered their kale salad and absolutely loved it.  The restaurant isn't very close to me so I decided I would try to make it at home.  Luckily, they have their recipe online.   It is just as good at home as it was in the restaurant.

I made a few changes to the recipe.  True Food calls for using homemade bread crumbs and while I don't doubt that they are wonderful, I don't have the time or inclination for that.  Panko works great as a substitution.  I also used less breadcrumbs and less parmesan.

One of my favorite things about this salad is that it is good for days.  Most salads are gross the next day because they get soggy.  Kale is the exact opposite.  If anything it gets better with time.  I love to make a batch of this and then eat it for lunch all week long.  I usually serve it with a little grilled chicken for protein since I am pregnant, but it is delicious as is.

Start out by tearing up your kale, discarding the tough ribs.  My store didn't have Tuscan Kale so I bought the bag of organic, chopped Tuscan kale at TJ's.  If you do what I did, it is a little more labor intensive because you have to pick through it all to strip the ribs whereas if you buy it by the bunch you can just hold the whole leaf and strip it all the way down.

Once you have your kale prepped, mix up the dressing.  In a liquid measuring cup combine the oil, fresh lemon juice, garlic, salt, pepper, and red pepper flakes.  Then pour this over the kale and toss to combine.  It will look slightly overdressed at this point, but trust me, it isn't.

Next add the parmesan and toss it again.  Now let it sit for about 5 minutes.  Finally add the breadcrumbs and toss again.  Let it sit again before serving.  I prefer to make it the night before.

As you can see there are only a few ingredients so it is important to use high quality ingredients.  This means extra virgin olive oil, fresh lemon juice, and good parmesan.  I like to use Trader Joe's grated parmesan and romano blend.  I hope you love this salad as much as I do.

Kale Salad
Adapted from True Food Kitchen
  • 4 - 6 cups torn Tuscan kale leaves
  • 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
  • juice of one lemon
  • 2 cloves crushed garlic
  • salt & pepper to taste
  • generous pinch of red pepper flakes
  • 1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese
  • 1/3 cup panko breadcrumbs 
  1. Tear up the kale leaves, being sure to remove the ribs, and place in a large bowl.
  2. Whisk together the olive oil, lemon juice, crushed garlic, salt, pepper, and red pepper flakes.  Then pour over the kale and toss well.
  3. Add parmesan cheese and toss well.  Let sit for 5 minutes.
  4. Add panko and toss well.  Let sit at least 5 minutes or overnight.
*Keeps well in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.

I'm linking up with Weekend PotluckInspiration Monday, Tasty Tuesday, Two Cup Tuesdays, Whimsy Wednesdays, Wonderful Food WednesdaysPin Junkie, Link Party Palooza, Best of the Weekeend, Strut Your Stuff Saturday, and Sweet & Savoury Sunday.

No comments:

Post a Comment