Tuesday, February 11, 2014

Quick & Easy Valentine's Day Breakfast


When I was a kid my mom used to make us "I Love You" toast by using food coloring and a paintbrush to paint I Love You on toast.  Looking back on it, I realize what a simple thing it was, but at the time it used to make me feel so special.  With Valentine's Day approaching, I've been brainstorming what I will be serving my boys since I like to make thematic meals for the holidays.  Since Valentine's Day brings so many sweets, I want to make a savory breakfast.  The I Love You toast of my childhood kept coming back into my mind but I needed to add in some protein.  Enter one of my favorite breakfasts, the one-eyed sandwich.  This breakfast has a lot of different names but I was taught to make it under the moniker One-Eyed Sandwich.  I decided to combine the two to make the perfect thematic but savory and protein rich Valentine's breakfast.

Start out with a slice of bread, I love the Milton's Whole Grain, but use whatever your favorite sandwich bread is.  Use a small heart-shaped cookie cutter to cut a hole in the center of the bread.


Butter one side of the bread including the heart cut-out.   (I actually used Brummel & Brown, not real butter.) 


Put it in a pan, pre-heated over medium and sprayed with cooking spray, buttered side down. Then butter the side that is facing up.  Once it is nice and buttered, crack an egg into the hole in the bread.


When the bottom of the egg white is set, use a spatula to flip the bread.  Continue to cook just until the egg white is set (if you cook it too long, it will still taste good, but you won't have that deliciously creamy, runny yolk).  Also flip the little heart at this time.

When the egg white is set, take it out of the pan and put the little heart on top of the egg filled hole of the bread.  Now for the "I Love You" part.  Use a small paintbrush, (a watercolor one is perfect) and dip it in a few drops of red food coloring.  Use the paint brush to write an I and a U on either side of the heart.

That's it.  Quick and easy but filled with love.  Serve with salt and pepper and start your day with a smile in your heart.



I'm linking up with Two Cup Tuesday, Tasty Tuesday, Made By Me, Create Link Inspire, Mad Skills, Whimsy Wednesday, Wake Up Wednesdays, Wednesday Whatsits, Moonlight & Mason Jars, Pin It Thursday, Thrifty Thursday, Create It Thursday, Link Party Palooza, and Pin Junkie.

No comments:

Post a Comment