Thursday, February 6, 2014

Quinoa Pancakes


Did you know that there is a National Pancake Week?  I just found out about it, and it is next week so in honor of National Pancake Week, here is a delicious and protein packed quinoa pancake recipe for you.  I'm always looking for make ahead breakfasts that give my little guy some protein to start his day.  I came across these quinoa pancakes and knew I wanted to give them a try.  I swapped out the shortening for butter because I don't really keep shortening on hand and added in some cinnamon and vanilla because they are delicious.

These pancakes come together really easily if you have pre-made the quinoa, and they freeze really well too.  They are pretty dense because of the quinoa so I recommend defrosting them before popping them in the toaster to reheat.

If you've never made quinoa, start by rinsing and draining the dried quinoa.  Then combine 2 parts water to 1 part quinoa in a small saucepan and bring to a boil.  Cover it, reduce the heat to low, and simmer until the water is absorbed, about 10-15 minutes.  I like to make a big batch of quinoa and then eat some for lunch during the week with roasted vegetables, but if you are just making it for this recipe you will need 1/3 cup dried quinoa.

For the pancakes, beat 2 eggs well.  Then add in 2 1/2 cups buttermilk, some melted butter, flour, a little bit of sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt, the quinoa, some cinnamon, and vanilla.  Mix it all together until just combined.  The batter will be very thick.


Cook the pancakes on a preheated griddle pan sprayed with cooking spray over medium-low heat.  When there are bubbles on the top flip them over.  Because the batter is so thick, after I ladle it onto my pan I use the bottom of my ladle to flatten it out a little bit.  Also, once I flip the pancakes I press on them with my spatula to make sure they get cooked through.

Jake thinks these are delicious plain, but I like to eat mine with a little bit of butter and pure maple syrup.


Quinoa Pancakes
Adapted from The Patrician Palette
Makes about 1 dozen pancakes
  • 2 eggs
  • 1 cup prepared quinoa (1/3 cup dried quinoa and 2/3 cup water)
  • 2 1/2 cups buttermilk
  • 3 tbls. butter, melted
  • 2 1/2 cups flour
  • 2 tsp. sugar
  • 2 tsp. baking powder
  • 1 tsp. baking soda
  • 1 tsp. salt
  • 1 1/2 tsp. vanilla
  • 1 tsp. cinnamon
  1. Beat eggs well.
  2. Add in the rest of the ingredients and mix until just combined.
  3. Cook on a preheated griddle pan sprayed with cooking spray over medium heat, flipping after bubbles appear on the top.

I'm linking up with Two Cup Tuesday, Tasty Tuesday, Made By Me, Create Link Inspire, Mad Skills, Whimsy Wednesday, Wake Up Wednesdays, Wednesday Whatsits, Thrifty Thursday, Pin It Thursday, Moonlight & Mason Jars, Create It Thursday.   Link Party Palooza, Weekend Potluck, Best Recipes, Best of the Weekend, Show Stopper Saturday, and Strut Your Stuff Saturday.

No comments:

Post a Comment