Tuesday, February 4, 2014

Superman Party - Part 1: The Food & Free Printables

Every other year I do an over-the-top home party for Jake (in the off years we have them at a place).  This year Jake wanted a Superman party and even though Jake's baby brother was 5 weeks old on party day, I didn't want his party to be any less exciting than the Cars party I threw for his 3rd birthday.  You can check out the details of that party here and here.   I did three important things to make that possible.  1) I started working on his party over the summer.  2) I enlisted the help of my husband and my amazing friend Amy (check her out here).  3) I hired Superman.  I had originally planned on making a bunch of games and having the kids complete all of the tasks to earn their capes but then sanity took over and I realized that I would have a newborn and putting someone else in charge of entertaining 20 kids was a really good idea.

Now onto the details.  Unfortunately I don't have pictures of everything and the pictures I do have aren't always the best.  I was nursing Luke right before the party and Josh thought he got pictures of it all, but he didn't.  :(   Hopefully you can forgive me and I will try to describe the things I don't have so you can picture it.

Let's start with the food tables.  I covered both tables with blue and red plastic tablecloths and used binder clips to gather them in the front.  Then I used two Superman symbols I made with my silhouette on the front.  Behind the table I hung red, yellow, and blue streamers from the curtain rod and attached some small Superman emblems to some of the blue streamers.


I really like to make the food thematic and this party was no exception.  I created a little logo for the food labels using the superman symbol but with a J for Jake.  We served Superheroes (deli sandwiches) and Power PB & Js.  To add a superhero touch to the PB & Js, I cut strips out of extra comic book pages and wrapped them around the PB & Js with a little piece of tape to secure them.


I always try to serve healthy foods so I made a veggie plate labeled Veggies of Virtue (oddly this is one thing I'm so bummed we don't have a picture of because it came out so pretty) by putting carrots, broccoli, red peppers, cucumbers, and cherry tomatoes in lines on a white tray.   I also made a fruit salad using only green fruits (honeydew, kiwi, green grapes, green apples, and green pears) and called it Kryptonite.  We also served popcorn in little cones I made out of comic book pages stuck into an empty cheerio box wrapped in yellow paper with holes poked into it.


I used the same logo from the food labels to make water bottle labels.  These are so easy to do and add such a customized touch to a party.  It was the first time I've ever done water bottle labels and I will definitely be doing them for all of our parties going forward.


These were super easy to attach.  Just print, cut, wrap around the existing label, and attach with double-sided tape.  In addition to water we served "Super Serum" (lemonade) and we had some sodas in a red ice bucket behind them.


For dessert I made a mini cake for Jake that I frosted with blue and then used Sugar Sheets to make the Superman symbol.  This wasn't my best cake decorating job but Jake was happy with it.  He had these little Superman and Superdog (I didn't realize there was a Superdog) figures that he wanted to stick on top so that's what those are.  I grew up with the tradition of an extra candle "to grow on" in case you are looking at the cake and thinking I can't count.


Then for everyone else I made cupcakes with these adorable cupcake toppers.  I got the idea from several different blogs on pinterest.  I used my silhouette to cut out the little capes.  I haven't quite figured out the print and cut feature of my silhouette yet so I just printed out the symbols and then cut them out by hand.  A couple of days before the party while the boys were asleep Josh and I threaded the capes and superman symbols onto the tootsie pops and then the morning of the party we stuck them into the cupcakes.



If you are interested in a Super J party, here are the printables:
Food Labels 1
Food Labels 2
Waterbottle Label 

I'll be posting the rest of the party details soon so be sure to follow me so you don't miss out.


I'm linking up with Two Cup Tuesday, Tasty Tuesday, Made By Me, Create Link Inspire, Mad Skills, Whimsy Wednesdays, Wake Up Wednesdays, Wednesday Whatsits, Showcase Your Talent Thursday, Create It Thursday, and Moonlight & Mason Jars, Thrifty Thursday, Pin It Thursday,  Link Party Palooza, Weekend Potluck, Best Recipes, Best of the Weekend, Show Stopper Saturday, and Strut Your Stuff Saturday.





No comments:

Post a Comment