Monday, November 18, 2013

Brownie Batter Pecan Pie


I grew up disliking nuts so I never really got into pecan pie.  Then a couple of years ago I discovered that I actually like a few types of nuts (walnuts still gross me out) and pecans were one of them.  When I saw Bakerella's Brownie Pecan Pie I knew I wanted to try it.   Our annual "friendsgiving" was the perfect excuse.  Since this makes two pies, I froze one for Thanksgiving.

This was so good that I barely rescued this last little piece to take pictures of.  I will try to update the pictures when we eat the one that is currently in my freezer.

Bakerella has two versions, a super gooey version that looks like brownie batter and a more baked brownie version.  I decided to split the difference and make a version that fell in the middle of the two.

Start out by making your pecan pie filling.  Mix together brown sugar, flour, corn syrup, vanilla, melted butter, eggs, and pecans (I used raw pecan halves).

Then make your brownie batter.  I used my favorite Ghiradelli mix, the same one I used in my Salted Caramel Brownies and then because I LOVE chocolate, I threw in an extra 1/2 cup of chocolate chips.

Divide your brownie batter evenly between two still frozen deep dish pie shells.  Then pour the pecan pie filling on top, gently spreading it around to cover but trying not to mix it in with the brownie batter.

Bake at 350 for about 50 minutes or until the center of your pie is set, but still a little wobbly.  Then cool completely on the counter.  You can serve it room temperature but if you refrigerate it the brownie layer will be a little more solid.

Because the pecan pie filling is gooey, it seeps down into the brownie layer giving you the consistency of brownie batter without the unsafe, uncooked eggs part.  All I can say is YUM!!!


This was my first attempt at a pecan pie of any type so I wasn't totally sure what it was supposed to be like.  According to my scientific research (googling it) pecan pie should still be a little wobbly in the center and then the residual heat will finish baking it.  Evidently overbaking pecan pie is a cardinal sin so I didn't want to do that for my first effort.  I found that even with baking it for 50 minutes it was still super fudgey and gooey so if you want it a little more done, I think you could bake it another 5 minutes or so.  Those of you experienced pecan pie bakers, what do you think?


Brownie Batter Pecan Pie
Adapted from Bakerella's Brownie Pecan Pie
  • 1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, melted
  • 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
  • 1 tbls. flour
  • 1/2 cup light corn syrup
  • 1 tsp. vanilla
  • 2 eggs, lightly beaten
  • 2 cups raw pecan halves (8 oz.)
  • 1 package brownie mix (I recommend Ghiradelli) and the ingredients you need to make it
  • 1/2 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
  • 2 frozen deep dish pie shells
  1. Preheat your oven to 350.
  2. In a medium bowl combine brown sugar and flour.  Then stir in the corn syrup and vanilla until combined.
  3. Add in melted butter and stir until combined.  Then mix in eggs.
  4. Gently fold in pecans.
  5. In a separate bowl, make brownie mix according to the instructions on the box, adding in a 1/2 cup of chocolate chips at the end.
  6.  Take your pie crusts out of the freezer and divide the brownie batter evenly among the two.  Then top with the pecan pie filling using a spatula to gently cover the brownie batter, being careful not to mix the two layers together.
  7. Bake for 50-55 minutes covering loosely with foil if the crust starts to get too brown.  (I had one on each shelf of my oven so I switched them halfway through.)
  8. Let cool to room temperature, then cover and refrigerate until ready to serve.
*To freeze, bake and cool to room temperature.  Then wrap in a few layers of plastic wrap and then put in a ziploc bag.  Let thaw completely before serving.


I'm linking up with Mad Skills Party, Tasty Tuesdays, Made By Me, Wonderful Food Wednesday, Whimsy Wednesday, Wake Up Wednesday, and Wednesday Whatsits, Moonlight & Mason Jars, Real Creative Life, Create It Thursday, Less Laundry More Linking, Thrifty ThursdayPin It Thursday, Pin Junkie, Best of the Weekend, Strut Your Stuff Saturday, Weekend Potluck, Super Saturday, Show Stopper SaturdaySunday Linky, Marvelous Monday, and Inspiration Monday.

No comments:

Post a Comment