Monday, November 11, 2013

Blueberry & Lemon Curd Muffins


A while back I made this delicious recipe for Lemon Blueberry Yogurt Loaf and we loved it.  I've made it a few times and this morning I was going to make it again but then I remembered the jar of lemon curd I picked up at Trader Joe's.  If you have never had lemon curd, you definitely should.  It is smooth and sweet and lemony all at the same time.  Usually it is served with scones at tea but I thought it would make an excellent addition to that recipe because I wanted to amp up the lemon flavor which I love.  I decided to make them in muffin form because then I could be sure that the lemon curd would be evenly distributed, plus muffins are faster and I was hungry.

Start out by lining your muffin tins with paper liners.  I got 18 out of this recipe.  In a medium bowl combine flour, baking powder, and salt.

In a 4 cup measuring cup (or a bowl but I'm lazy and like less dishes) combine some fat-free Greek yogurt, vegetable oil, sugar, vanilla, eggs, and lemon zest.  (If you are looking for something to make with the juice from those lemons, this kale salad is amazing!)


Once it is good and combined add it to your dry ingredients and whisk it all together.


Then add in some blueberries, I used frozen (still frozen), and mix it all together gently.  If you want you can toss the frozen blueberries with some flour but I don't mind the little bit of discoloration.  I actually think it is kind of pretty.


Scoop a little bit of muffin batter into each cup (I used my cookie scoop).


Then top it with a heaping 1/2 teaspoon to a scant teaspoon of lemon curd.


I got a little greedy with my lemon curd and used a full teaspoon for each muffin.   I was rewarded with lemon curd baked onto my muffin tin, don't be like me.

Whoops!
Finally top it all off with one more scoop of muffin batter.


Then bake at 400 for about 20 minutes or until  a toothpick stuck in the middle comes out clean.


Let them cool a little bit so you don't burn your mouth on molten lemon curd (this will be difficult because they smell really, really good.  Enjoy!


Blueberry & Lemon Curd Muffins
Makes 18 muffins
Adapted from The First Year Blog's Lemon Blueberry Yogurt Loaf 
  • 1 1/2 cups flour
  • 2 tsp. baking powder
  • 1/2 tsp. salt
  • 1 cup plain, fat-free Greek yogurt
  • 1/2 cup vegetable oil
  • 1 cup sugar
  • 3 eggs
  • 1/2 tsp. vanilla
  • zest of 2 lemons
  • 1 1/2 cups frozen blueberries, still frozen
  • heaping 1/4 cup lemon curd
  1. Line muffin tins with paper liners and preheat oven to 400.
  2. In a medium bowl combine flour, baking powder, and salt.
  3. In a 4 cup measuring cup combine yogurt, oil, sugar, eggs, vanilla, and lemon zest.
  4. Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients and whisk to combine.
  5. Add in frozen blueberries and stir gently to combine.
  6. Use a cookie scoop to scoop some batter into each muffin cup.  
  7. Top each with a heaping 1/2 teaspoon to a scant teaspoon of lemon curd and then another scoop of muffin batter.
  8. Bake for about 20 minutes or until a toothpick in the center comes out clean.

I'm linking up with Tasteful Tuesday, Tasty Tuesdays, Mad Skills, Whimsy Wednesday, and Wonderful Food Wednesday, Pin It Thursday, Create It Thursday, Moonlight & Mason Jars, Real Family FunThrifty Thursday, Pin Junkie, Strut Your Stuff Saturday, Best of the Weekend, Show Stopper Saturday, Sunday Linky, Inspiration Monday, Craftastic Monday, Marvelous Mondays, Monday Funday, Mix It Up Monday, and Busy Monday.

No comments:

Post a Comment