Tuesday, April 1, 2014

Chicken Sausage Wonderpot


I've been seeing these amazing recipes all over Pinterest for one pot pasta recipes where everything cooks together at once, including the pasta!  This is pretty much the greatest idea ever for me considering that pasta is my favorite food, I hate doing dishes, and with an infant I need meals that minimize my hands on cooking time.  So, I finally decided to give one a try.  Here is my spin on the "Wonderpot."

Start out by slicing up about a pound of sausage (I used 5 links).


You can use any sort of precooked sausage that you like.  I LOVE this one from Costco! 


Then take a pound of grape tomatoes and halve them.


Get a yellow onion.  Peel it, quarter it, and slice it.  I did all of that slicing while Lucas napped and threw it all in a big ziploc bag and stuck it back in the fridge.  Then when I was ready to make dinner I just poured it into my pan.

You will need a big pan, one wide enough for the spaghetti to lay flat and deep enough to hold all of the ingredients.  In addition to the sausage, onion, and tomatoes put in a pound of spaghetti, 4 1/2 cups of water, garlic, fresh julienned basil, salt & pepper, and dried Italian seasoning.


Cover the pan and bring it to a boil over medium-high heat (use tongs to mix it up once or twice).  Once the water is boiling uncover the pan and continue to cook for about 9 minutes, mixing it with your tongs every 3 minutes or so.  The water will be mostly absorbed by this point but not completely because it is your sauce.

In the last minute, stir in some fresh spinach so it can wilt.  Then stir in a bunch of shredded cheese.  I used Trader Joe's quattro formaggio but plain Parmesan would be really good too.  It will melt into the liquid giving you a deliciously cheesy sauce. 

Twenty minutes, one pan, dinner is served!


Chicken Sausage Wonderpot
  • 1 pound precooked chicken sausage, sliced into coins
  • 1 pound grape tomatoes, halved
  • 1 medium yellow onion, quartered and sliced
  • 1 lb. spaghetti
  • 4 1/2 cups water
  • 2 tsp. dried Italian seasoning
  • 1 tsp. kosher salt
  • 1 tsp. freshly cracked pepper
  • pinch red pepper flakes (optional) 
  • 5 cloves garlic, minced
  • handful fresh basil leaves, julienned
  • 2 cups fresh baby spinach
  • 1 cup shredded Quattro Formaggio
  1. Place all ingredients except spinach and cheese in a wide, deep pan.  Cover and bring to a boil over medium-high heat.  
  2. Once it is boiling, uncover and continue to cook 9 minutes, mixing every 3 minutes with tongs. 
  3. In the last minute stir in the spinach so it just wilts.
  4. Stir in the cheese so that it melts into the liquid.
  5. Serve with extra cheese and red pepper flakes if desired. 
I'm linking up with Two Cup Tuesday, Whimsy Wednesday, Wake Up Wednesday, Wednesday Whatsits, Moonlight & Mason Jars, Pin It Thursday, Create it Thursday, Get Him Fed Friday, Pin Junkie, Weekend Potluck, Best of the Weekend, Link Party Palooza, Show Stopper Saturday, Strut Your Stuff Saturday, Inspiration Monday, Mix It Up Monday, Craftastic Monday, Busy Monday, Monday Funday, Create Link Inspire, and Mad Skills Party.


No comments:

Post a Comment