When I saw that bone-in short ribs were on sale in this week's grocery ads I knew that they would make the perfect meal for the cold weather we've been having. Any meal that I can make during nap time and then reheat at dinner time makes my life a million times easier so braised meats are perfect.
I'm not going to lie, the prep work on this meal is a little time consuming but it is well worth it. The short ribs are fall off the bone tender and oh so flavorful. The braising liquid is perfect for serving over polenta or just sopping up with crusty bread. No matter how you serve it, this is comfort food at its finest. Warm, hearty, saucy, and delicious!
Get out a large dutch oven. I used my Le Creuset but any heavy duty stovetop to oven pan with a lid will do. Heat up some olive oil in your pan and season the shortribs with salt and pepper. Sear your short ribs on each side, then remove and set them aside. This will take about 8-10 minutes total.
Chop up an onion, 2 carrots, and 2 celery stalks. Add them to the pan, season with salt and pepper, and saute until soft. Then mince some garlic, add it to the veggies and saute another minute or so.
Get some red wine, pour it in, and use a wooden spoon to scrape up any brown goodness from the bottom of the pan. Return the short ribs to the pan and simmer until the wine is reduced by half, about 5 minutes.
Pour in some beef stock, a can of crushed tomatoes, and a few sprigs of fresh rosemary. Simmer for about 10 minutes, then cover the pan and put it in a 350 degree oven for 2 1/2 hours.
Let it sit for about half an hour. The fat will rise to the top and be easy to skim off. Alternately you can refrigerate it overnight, which, if possible, makes it taste even better. Just remove the solidified fat from the top and then reheat.
Serve these over something that will soak up the sauce. I recommend creamy polenta. Yum, yum!
Red Wine Braised Short Ribs
- 2 1/2 lbs. bone-in short ribs
- salt and pepper
- 3 tbls. olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 stalks of celery, chopped
- 2 carrots, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 1/2 cups red wine
- 3 sprigs fresh rosemary
- 2 cups beef broth
- 1 28-oz. can crushed tomatoes
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Heat olive oil in a large dutch oven over medium-high heat.
- Season short ribs with salt and pepper and sear all sides, about 8-10 minutes total. Remove from pan and set aside.
- Add chopped onion, celery, and carrot and saute 4-5 minutes. Add in minced garlic and saute another minute.
- Pour in wine and scrape up any browned bits from the bottom of the pan. Return short ribs to the pan and simmer until reduced by half, about 5 minutes.
- Add in rosemary, beef broth, and crushed tomatoes. Reduce heat to medium and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Cover and put in oven for 2 1/2 hours.
- Remove from oven and let rest for 30 minutes. Skim fat off the top and serve short ribs with the braising liquid on top.
I'm linking up with Two Cup Tuesday, Inspiration Monday, Mix It Up Monday, Busy Monday, Mad Skills, Create Link Inspire, Tasty Tuesdays, Whimsy Wednesday, Wake Up Wednesday, Moonlight & Mason Jars, Pin Junkie, Create It Thursday, Best of the Weekend, Weekend Potluck, Strut Your Stuff Saturday, Show Stopper Saturday, and Link Party Palooza.