Easter and Passover overlap this year and since we celebrate both, these macaroon nests are the perfect dessert to combine the two. My stepmom makes THE BEST macaroons and they are so easy. These are not the dry macaroons you get in the can. They are gooey, sticky, sweet, and delicious. I'm not usually a huge coconut fan but these are out of this world. I've even frozen them before and they are still yummy!
These macaroons couldn't be easier and transforming them into nests is simply a matter of pressing down the center to make a little well, spooning in some melted chocolate, and sticking a few candy eggs on top.
To make the macaroons you will need a bag of coconut, a can of sweetened condensed milk, and some vanilla.
Dump them all into a big bowl and stir it all together.
Drop the mixture by spoonfuls onto a greased cookie sheet. You can make your macaroons as big or as small as you want your cookies to be. Jake made them pretty big so we got 18 macaroons. I lined my cookie sheets with parchment paper and then sprayed it with cooking spray to minimize dishes. Use the back of the spoon to make a little well in the top of each macaroon.
Bake the macaroons at 350 for 10 to 20 minutes. I know that is a huge range of time but the beauty of these macaroons is that you can make them how you like them. If you want the coconut a little darker, cook them longer. If you like it lighter, cook them less. Like I said, ours were pretty big so these were baked for 15 minutes.
Once they are cool melt a little bit of chocolate. I just chopped up some dark chocolate and microwaved it in 30 second intervals, stirring after each one until it was melted.
Use a spoon to put a little melted chocolate into the well of each macaroon.
Then stick a few candy eggs on top. I used Cadbury dark mini eggs. When the chocolate sets up, they will stay in place.
That is all there is to it. Just 5 ingredients and you have the perfect Easter and Passover dessert!
- 16 oz. bag coconut
- 14 oz. can sweetened condensed milk
- 2 tsp. vanilla
- 2 oz. dark chocolate
- mini candy eggs
- Preheat oven to 350. Line cookie sheets with parchment paper and spray with cooking spray.
- Combine coconut, condensed milk, and vanilla.
- Drop by spoonfuls onto cookie sheets. Use back of spoon to press a small dent into the top of each macaroon.
- Bake 10 to 20 minutes, depending on the size and desired color of your macaroons.
- Let cool.
- Chop dark chocolate and place in a microwave safe bowl. Microwave 30 seconds, stir, then microwave another 30 seconds. There will still be a few chunks at this point. Stir until the chocolate is smooth.
- Use a spoon to fill the well in each macaroon with chocolate.
- Place candy eggs into chocolate. Let chocolate cool to set up.