Monday, October 14, 2013

Mixed Berry Yogurt Muffins


On one of our last "home days" before school Jake and I made some muffins to enjoy when we were back to school.  We made these Oatmeal Raisin Muffins to satisfy my little health nut.  Then I wanted something a little bit sweeter so we mixed up a batch of Mixed Berry Yogurt Muffins.

Since this was our second batch of muffins I wanted them to be super quick so I cheated a little and started out with Bisquick's Heart Smart baking mix.  As I mentioned I was in the mood for something sweet so in with the Bisquick went some delicious brown sugar and a teaspoon of cinnamon.

For those of you not on the Greek yogurt bandwagon yet, I seriously don't ever use sour cream anymore.  If you get the fat free Greek yogurt it is still nice and thick like full fat sour cream, and tastes pretty much identical if you ask me, but you have just saved yourself all sorts of fat.  Win!

So, I combined some fat free Greek yogurt with an egg and some vanilla.  Once they were mixed together really well I added the wet ingredients to the dry and stir until they are just combined.  I thought the batter looked too dry so I added 1/4 cup of milk to moisten it up.

You can use any berries in these muffins.  Fresh, frozen, mixed, all one variety, whatever you feel like or happen to have in the house.  I had some frozen mixed berries from Trader Joe's that had blueberries, strawberries, raspberries, and blackberries.  That all sounded pretty much perfect so in they went.  Just fold them in.  Do not thaw your frozen berries first or it will discolor your batter.

Then take your ice cream scoop and scoop the batter into the paper lined muffin tin and bake them at 375 for 15-18 minutes.

These puff up to have a beautiful dome and are really light and delicious.  Eat them warm, but not the second they come out of the oven because the berries will be HOT!  I do not know that from experience, I just heard it someone.  I am always patient and never burn my tongue on my food because it smells so good and I just can't wait to try it.

This batch only makes 12 so you can probably eat them all in a couple of days, but if not, they freeze well.  Just microwave for 15-20 seconds and you are ready to enjoy them any day of the week.

Mixed Berry Yogurt Muffins
Adapted from Food.com's Sour Cream Blueberry Muffins
Makes 12 Muffins 
  • 2 cups Bisquick Heart Smart baking mix
  • 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
  • 1 tsp. cinnamon
  • 2 eggs
  • 2 tbls. to 1/4 cup skim milk
  • 1 cup fat free Greek yogurt
  • 1 tsp. vanilla
  • 1 cup frozen mixed berries (still frozen)
  1. Preaheat oven to 400 and line muffin tin with paper liners.
  2. In a large bowl combine Bisquick, brown sugar, and cinnamon.
  3. In a smaller bowl combine the yogurt, eggs, and vanilla.
  4. Add the wet ingredients to the dry and stir until just combined.  If the batter looks too dry add a little milk.
  5. Fold in the frozen berries.
  6. Use an ice cream scoop to scoop the batter into the lined muffin tin, then bake for 15-18 minutes.
  7. Let cool slightly before eating.

I'm linking up with Tasteful Tuesday, Tasty TuesdayReal Family Fun, Whimsy Wednesday, Thrifty Thursday, Less Laundry More Linking, Pin Junkie, Moonlight & Mason Jars, Link Party Palooza, and  Pin it Thursday.

No comments:

Post a Comment