Monday, October 7, 2013

Vermouth Chicken


Over the last couple of years I made a concerted effort to get out of my dinner rut and try new recipes.  This has been great, but it also made me forget about some really wonderful meals that I used to make often and my family really loves.  This chicken is one of those.  It's a recipe I got from my mom, I think she clipped it out of a newspaper when I was a kid so it is definitely not a new recipe.  I cut down on the bouillon because I don't like things too salty and I used boneless skinless breast tenders because they are easy.  My mom always used bone-in chicken because it is more flavorful.

Recently I needed a quick and easy dinner recipe and saw the bottle of vermouth in the cupboard.  As soon as I saw it I knew exactly what we were having for dinner.  Luckily this recipe is made with items that I almost always have on hand.  The alcohol cooks out so don't worry about serving this to kids (or pregnant mamas).

When I went to make dinner I realized that I had forgotten to defrost the chicken, whoops!  Luckily I have the Costco size bag of frozen tenders which defrost quickly.  Mine were still a little frozen when I put them in the oven but they still cooked perfectly. 

Start out by putting a stick of butter, some chopped fresh parsley, dried basil, lemon juice, garlic, paprika, a chicken bouillon cube, some vermouth, and minced garlic in a small saucepan over low heat.  Stir occasionally until the butter is melted.   At this point your kitchen will smell delicious and if you are anything like me, you will be seriously tempted to drink the sauce.  I forgot to take pictures of this step, sorry.

Put the chicken in a glass baking dish coated with cooking spray.  I used my toaster oven so I wouldn't heat up my house so I used two 8 x 8 pans.  Normally, I use a 9 x 13 pan.   Pour the sauce over the chicken and bake at 350 for about 30 minutes, basting with the sauce every 10 minutes or so.  Keep in mind that oven temperatures vary so check your chicken and make sure it is cooked through.

This chicken is so moist and delicious!  I always serve it with either brown rice or orzo and then spoon some of the sauce over it.  This night we had green beans that I put sauce on too.   Seriously, make this tonight.  You will thank me!


-->
Vermouth Chicken

  • 1 lb. boneless, skinless chicken breast tenders
  • 1 stick butter
  • 2 tbls. chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
  • 1 tbls. dried, or 2 tbls. fresh, basil
  • juice of 1 lemon
  • 1/2 tsp. paprika
  • 1 bouillon cube
  • 1/2 cup dry vermouth 
  • 3 cloves garlic, minced
  1. Combine butter, parsley, basil, lemon juice, paprika, bouillon, vermouth, and garlic in a saucepan.  Heat over low heat until butter melts.
  2. Put chicken in a big glass baking dish sprayed with cooking spray, pour sauce on top.
  3. Put in 350 degree oven.
  4. Bake about 30 minutes, or until done, basting with sauce every 10 minutes.



I'm linking up with Retro Repin, Marvelous MondayMad Skills Party, Tasteful Tuesday, Tasty Tuesday, Two Cup Tuesday, Made By Me, Creative Wednesdays, Whimsy Wednesdays, Wake Up Wednesday, Wonderful Food Wednesday, Less Laundry More Linking, Pin it Thursday,  Pin JunkieTasty Thursdays, Link Party Palooza, Best of the Weekend, Weekend Potluck, Show Stopper Saturday, Show Us How You Rock, Sweet & Savoury Sundays, and Sunday Linky.

No comments:

Post a Comment