Friday, October 25, 2013

DIY Elephant Nursery Art


When we found out we were having a boy Josh was relieved because the guest room we would be converting into the nursery was already painted a very pale blue.  With that in mind I set about deciding on a theme for his room.  I spent a lot of time on pinterest and google looking at nursery pictures.  I wanted something that would be baby appropriate, but wouldn't be so babyish that he would outgrow it before we were ready to change his bed into a big boy bed (that is when we changed Jake's room's theme).  I finally decided on an elephant theme in light blue and chocolate brown.

Now that I knew the theme I had to figure out what I wanted on the walls.  As I mentioned here, I'm going to be making a brothers picture frame to hang up, and I plan to make the letters of his name, assuming we can come up with one, but that wasn't enough.  I was at Michael's and they were having a big sale on canvases so I bought a bunch in different sizes as well as a bunch of different scrapbook papers in light blue and chocolate brown hoping they would provide me with inspiration.

After lots of consultation with my dear friend Amy (if you haven't checked out her blog, you totally should) I came up with 2 pairs of canvases I wanted to make.

The first, and larger, pair of canvases represents our family.  The canvas on the left has the biggest elephant, Josh, and the bigger of the kid elephants, Jake.  The canvas on the right is for the baby and me.


I started out by using my silhouette to make elephant stencils. (If you want this stencil, email me and I will send you the file, I haven't figured out how to put Silhouette files on here).  Evidently an elephant with an upraised trunk is good luck so I was sure to include that detail.  I changed the size of the design to make different sized elephants.


I then traced the different sized elephants onto my scrapbook paper and cut them out.  I did this before I had successfully used my silhouette to cut scrapbook paper without it tearing when I removed it from the cutting sheet.  Otherwise I would have just used the silhouette to cut out the elephants from the scrapbook paper instead of making a stencil and cutting them out by hand.  I cut the ears out of the opposite scrapbook paper for contrast.  I also used my silhouette to cut the circles out of my two colors of cardstock.  If you have a larger, circular craft punch, that would work perfectly here too.

I then used the Golden gel gloss I used when I made my comic book letters to attach the elephants and dots to the canvases.  After smoothing it all out I noticed that I had a few ripples so I took a toothpick dipped in the gel gloss to stick those little spots down.


For the second, smaller, pair of canvases I painted them brown and then used the Mom sized stencil from the other canvases to cut out these elephants (one facing either way) and attached them the same way.

It's hard to tell in these pictures, but the elephants on the brown canvases are a white scrapbook paper with tiny pale blue polka dots all over.


I was really happy with how they turned out and they ended up being super inexpensive which made them even better considering how expensive new babies are.  Once we have his room finished I will post some nursery pictures but this was such a great project I wanted to give you the details now.


I'm linking up with Link Party Palooza and Pin Junkie, Strut Your Stuff Saturday, Best of the Weekend, Show Stopper Saturday. Marvelous Monday, Mix It Up Monday, and Inspiration Monday.

No comments:

Post a Comment