Tuesday, October 21, 2014

DIY Lego Movie Halloween Shirt & Free Cut File


I love dressing my kids in themed clothes for holidays so at the end of September I started looking for Halloween shirts for the boys.  I quickly found one I liked for Luke but I wasn't having any luck for Jake.  I found a couple that were okay but they were long sleeved and it's still pretty hot in Southern California.  The bigger problem I ran into was that a lot of the shirts were downright rude.  I've noticed  that once your son transitions out of the toddler section and into the boy's section the shirts are rude.  I must be in the minority here, but if I wouldn't let my child say something to me because it's rude, I certainly won't let him walk around with it on his shirt.  We were out of town this weekend and were near an outlet mall so I dragged the boys into four different kids stores and struck out at every single one.  Finally Josh suggested that I just make him one.  Why didn't I think of that?!?

I loved how my Pregnant Skeleton Halloween shirt came out last year and I always get complements on the Ninja Turtle onesie I made for Luke so I knew that I had my solution.  Jake is OBSESSED with all things Lego and the Lego Movie is no exception.  I decided to do a play on the theme song "Everything is Awesome" and make his shirt say Halloween is Awesome.  Then I made a jack-o-lantern Lego head and I was ready to go.

Once I had my cut file finished I gathered my supplies.  You will need some freezer paper, a black t-shirt, orange fabric paint, and a sponge paint brush.  Cut a piece of freezer paper to 10 1/2 by 12 inches (that's the size of the cut file page) and put it on your cutting mat with the shiny side facing down.  Cut out the stencil.  Make sure to save the little pieces that go inside the As and the Os as well as the features of the jack-o-lantern.


Turn the t-shirt inside out and iron a piece of freezer paper with the shiny side touching the shirt.  This will protect your shirt from any paint bleeding through to the back.  Then turn the shirt right side out and iron the stencil on.  I ironed on the main stencil first, then carefully placed the little pieces and ironed them on.  I was rushing so I had a few bubbles in my stencil, you want to do a better job ironing.  Bubbles in the stencil equals places where the paint can bleed outside of the lines.

Use your sponge brush to dab the paint on.  You don't really want to brush it on.  It looks better if you dab it.  After you have finished your first coat let it dry.  I was trying to get this all done during one of Luke's naps so I cheated and used my hair dryer to dry it for about 5-10 minutes.  Then I folded a load of laundry and by the time I was finished it was dry enough to do the second coat.


Use the same dabbing method to sponge on the second coat of paint and then let dry completely before peeling off the stencil.  Happy Halloween!



Halloween is Awesome cut file

For those of you without a Silhouette (Add it to your holiday wish list, I love mine!), here is a PDF if you want to get crazy with your exacto knife:
Halloween Is Awesome PDF


I'm linking up with Wednesday Whatsits, Moonlight & Mason Jars, Whimsy Wednesday, Cook It Craft It Share It, Pin It Thursday, Showcase Your Talent Thursday, Thrifty Thursday, Create It Thursday, The Weekend Social, Pin Junkie, Creativity Unleashed, Link Party Palooza, Best of the Weekend, Weekend Potluck, Best Recipes, Strut Your Stuff Saturday, Pinworthy Projects, Show Stopper Saturday, Inspiration Monday, Mix It Up Monday, Craftastic Monday, Busy Monday, Munching Mondays, Two Cup Tuesday, Lou Lou Girls, and Mad Skills Party.

No comments:

Post a Comment