Tuesday, October 28, 2014

Easy Halloween Snacks


When the sign-ups for soccer snacks came out I knew that I wanted to be snack mom for the game closest to Halloween.  I love holidays and everything that goes along with them.  The decorating, the crafts, the food, I love it all.  I had so many ideas and as the day of the game approached I knew that I needed to narrow it down and make some decisions.  I had originally planned on making something homemade, but I know that a lot of people are uncomfortable with homemade treats these days so I decided to go with pre-made foods.  Just because I was using pre-made foods did not mean I couldn't add a fun holiday spin to our snacks.


I had seen people make butterflies by filling a ziploc with grapes and clipping it with a clothespin for the body so I decided to use the same method to make little bats.  These turned out so cute and while they did take a little bit of time, they were super easy.  Start out by getting some clothespins and painting them black.  If you can find black clothespins, even better, but I couldn't so I just painted them.  Once the paint was dry I used a white paint pen and a black sharpie to draw the eyes and the fangs.  Then I cut little triangles out of black construction paper and glued them on for the ears.  Each snack size ziplock got 4 Halloween Joe Joes (Oreos are perfect too if you don't have a Trader Joes near you).  Then I just bunched up the bag in the center and clipped it with the clothespin.  Halloween bats made of Joe Joes, check.


I had a sweet snack so now I wanted something savory.  Cheez-Its are one of Jake's favorite afternoon snacks and since they are orange they were exactly what I needed.  I picked up a box of the little fold over plastic bags and drew jack-o-lantern faces on them.  Then I filled them with Cheez-Its and used a little piece green pipe cleaner to close it up.  I also curled the end of the pipe cleaner to make it look like a piece of the pumpkin vine.


Jake doesn't like Gatorade so I knew we would be bringing juice boxes.  A little white duct tape wrapped around, a couple of googly eyes glued on, and a wavy line from my sharpie and we had mummies.


The final part of our snack was the mid-game fruit.  The traditional orange slices were a no go because my picky eater doesn't like oranges.  He does like cuties though so we just peeled them, cut a little "stem" out of celery and our snacks were ready to go.  Mid-game pumpkins followed by post-game bats, jack-o-lanterns, and mummies made the perfect Halloween themed snacks.  Any or all of these would be perfect additions to any Halloween celebration!



I'm linking up with Tasty Tuesdays, Whimsy Wednesday, Wednesday Whatsits, Moonlight & Mason Jars, Create It Thursday, Cook It Craft It Share It, Pin Junkie, Showcase Your Talent Thursday, Pin Junkie, Pin It Thursday, Thrifty Thursday, and The Weekend Social.

No comments:

Post a Comment